Here’s how you can make this easy vegetarian banh mi sandwich or tofu sandwich
- 1 large baguette or bread
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup mayo or vegan mayo (for complete vegan sandwich)
- cilantro, for topping (optional)
Pickled Veggies: (Do this first)
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 cup daikon, julienned
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar
- 1 – 2 cups water or until container is full.
- Mason jar
Tofu & Marinade
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup veggie broth
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (less sodium)
- sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp all spice
- 1 jalapeno, slice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
To make Pickled Veggies:
- In a mason jar, combined julienned carrots and daikon
- Add rice vinegar, white wine vinegar and water.
- Add slices of jalapenos.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Let it sit for couple hours or overnight
- Slice tofu to desired width
- In a bowl combine: soy sauce, broth, powders and spice. Mix.
- Add tofu to the bowl.
- Add lime juice
- Let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Cook tofu until golden brown.
- Toast your baguette in the oven.
- Add condiments of your liking.
- Add pickled veggies and cucumber to your bread.
- Add cooked tofu to your bread.
- Add cilantro and jalapenos, if desired.
- Serve and eat.
I like mine on bread without mayonnaise but with Sriracha. Also, I like my tofu crispy. Serve however you want it.